Saturday, December 13

saturday

this morning began with a couple hours of laying under my down comforter, in my cozy bed, reading. Ah....bliss. Then, I was off to a sorority alumnae gathering where there was good food, good company, and much laughter around the ornament exchange (where I ended up with the coveted martini shaker and glass set...which came from Crate and Barrel, but I can't find it on the website, so I'll post a picture later). This is my first real foray into a sorority alumnae group, and am enjoying it. I am meeting all sorts of women that I otherwise would not have a chance to get to know.

Today's gathering also provided the opportunity to work on the non-committal, non-judgmental "hmmm", whilst nodding and inwardly going "Eeek!!!" One woman there told me her son and daughter-in-law work for Campus Crusade for Christ in Florida, and that she works for a research/lobbying group affiliated with Focus on the Family. I tried my best to look neutral and say only "hmmmm" when she explained that her company's work is to get "family values" into the state laws, perhaps thinking that as a pastor I'd be into that. I did manage to not cringe, run away screaming, or pleasantly say "what exactly to do mean by that?" I just stood there, nodded, and hmmmm'd.

Now I'm at the office, hoping that here I can get some writing done (I'm sooooo close to being done with the thesis, but can't work at home), and then it's broomball tonight with the youth group....maybe. Yesterday I had a migraine headache and I still feel crummy and have also started sneezing and my nose is running....so, if they have enough drivers, I just may head home, get some rest and hopefully beat this bug back.

Now to the writing...I can do it - yes, I can.

1 comment:

SHMT said...

Way to go with the poker face and the hmmmm-ing. (no negative body language, no negative body language). Sorry you're feeling crummy. Me too, although I am also hoping to fight it off before it can get a firm grip.