Thursday, December 4

coffee shop ministry

so, I've started this new thing today. Every Thursday morning I'm going to show up at a coffee shop for a few hours in the morning and see who drops by. I've decided to read something overtly theological (or even the Bible - gasp!) and just be - say hi to people and just be present. We're posting the schedule on the congregation website, because the prime reason is to go where people are in the morning and be present in a way that allows them to drop in while they are already out and about. 

here's the hitch. A month ago I started asked people where they are in the mornings on Thursday. I've asked in several venues...and not one person has responded. So...for December I chose my own coffee shops in the general vicinity of my apartment and that are convenient to the rest of my Thursday morning. I had a number of people say "what a great idea!"...but not one person emailed me or wrote me a note letting me know where they are. I imagine that I'll continue this even if no one ever gets on board - I like being out of the office - and while I'm not in a clergy shirt this morning (no time to iron and be at Starbuck's by 6:30 am), I'm contemplating doing that to increase my visibility...or maybe not. We'll see. As I write this, maybe I'll just go through the directory and figure out where people live, ask people where they work, and then make my own choices from there. Like all kinds of ministry - it's a work in progress, I guess.

4 comments:

SHMT said...

Sounds fun in a terrifying (for me) kind of way! You're the coolest pastor I know...

k-bomb said...

Katy! That is fantastic! I'll have to remember that for the future. I think it's just brilliant and if you keep being present you'll get to know people. How cool!

Linda Kusse-Wolfe said...

Found your sight googling coffee shop ministry. I live in Wichita and visit Mead's Corner- a ministry of First UMC. I am working on a paper for D Min on coffee shop ministry and the faith dialogue that can potentially take place there. How was your experience hanging out at a coffee shop? Quaker hospital chaplain hanging out in Toto's back yard. David E. W

Linda Kusse-Wolfe said...

Actually David Wolfe said, hum, my wife's name (also a pastor) came up instead of mine!