Friday, July 27

all is quiet...

It's been a while since I've posted, but there isn't much new to report. I have living arrangements secured, I have two TA jobs (Christian Ed and American Lutheranism) and two part time jobs at the seminary. I am working on the health insurance issue now, and hopefully will have some temporary insurance lined up in the next week.

I continue to be astounded by people's generosity and support and am thankful for it. But it is so easy to get discouraged and think that this will be my reality forever. Intellectually, I know that isn't the case - I know that I'll be doing ministry somewhere, sometime before too long - but the other part of me wants to look at God and say, "OK, you got me into this...time to pony up! Where's the job, where's the place to call home for longer than a few months...where's the payout for this commitment I've made?" But, that's not how it works, is it?

I continue to be amazed, however, along with my friends in this situation, at the (apparent?) lack of understanding on the behalf of synod staff. We keep getting comments like..."it never takes this long." Well, clearly sometimes is does take this long...thanks for your help. My favorite has been "well, so you have a place to live" - like that makes everything OK and bills and insurance aren't an issue...not to mention meaningful work. I consider myself lucky that I can remain in a place that challenges me - intellectually, personally, theologically - and in which I know I will continue to grow and gain skills and knowledge that will benefit me in my future ministry. Not everyone is so lucky. I also like this one: "the perfect church is just waiting for you out there somewhere"...OK, but what about my life now and maybe the close-to-perfect or not-so-perfect place that I could be serving. It all ends up sounding condescending and is infuriating. Not the supportive tone they are probably looking for. It's just so frustrating and it would be worse without supportive friends and family...keep the encouragement and the prayers coming.

No comments: