Tuesday, November 25

not so much...

so, the sentencing didn't happen. Apparently over 20 people spoke to the perpetrator's character and that he had been punished "enough" with the things that had already happened to him. That took up the allotted two hours, so they convene again next Thursday afternoon and continue on. 

over 20 people - I'm not sure what to do with that. Did they all know what he admitted to on the stand? Did they all know that he admitted the 'relationship' to the bishop 15 months ago, and in fact he brought up the victim's name on his own? Did they know that some of the things he testified that he and the victim did were also felonies? Did they know? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but I think very few of those people knew him then and now. I know one family from the church is at odds because one of the kids was there today, and the other kid and the parents objected. But he did it anyway. So many people have been hurt...so many families have been affected. I don't know what to say.

Yes, I believe in grace and reconciliation and forgiveness - but I also believe that needs to be preceded by repentance and remorse, and I have seen none of that from the perpetrator. What is "enough"? I don't know. But a young woman's life was changed forever - not just her relationship with others, with men affected, but also her relationship with God was forever changed and manipulated by this man. I don't know what to say. And so I pray and I wait. 

1 comment:

k-bomb said...

You bring up very good points. What is "enough"....well, when laws are broken what does it matter if someone has 2, 20 or 2,000 people speak on the behalf of an offender, in the eyes of the court. But in the eyes of the rest of us? It's tough to say. Plus, the justice of earth and the justice of God are always something we have to have running through our heads.

Love you!