Wednesday, August 22

the sound of silence

well...it's been a quiet few weeks on the call front, but in other parts of my life it's been lively -

I've moved...again. This move was just across the parking lot of the seminary to a room in Sawyer Hall (the head lunch lady room, to those of you who know campus). I'm attempting to "girlify" the room a bit, as it's last six inhabitants (at least) have been male. It's not too bad, actually - although a bit creepy at the beginning with the new noises. However, these days, I hardly ever think that a homicidal maniac will notice that the windows by my bed don't actually shut all the way, let alone latch securely. I amuse myself, when I lock the doors, but yet sleep next to a window that a raccoon could open (which, actually is more of a concern than the homicidal maniac).

I've also been walking with a friend as she has been making hard decisions in her life. I think she's doing the right thing, and often I can just sit on the phone and listen and support her decisions.

I'm getting ready to travel this weekend to Eugene, OR for the Office of Seminary Development. I'm going to attend an event on Saturday where one of my favorite professors, ever is going to be talking (Dr. Marty Stortz). Sunday I'm going to attend church at a local congregation and hopefully speak with some of the women about PLTS's Philanthropy push on women. Being a spokesperson for the seminary is cool...and scary - I don't know what I'm doing - I really don't...but it'll be a good time, I'm sure.

A bit of news on the call front happenened this week, though. A congregation in SoCal is looking for a term call associate (i.e. the call would end after a specific period of time). They have a need for a second pastor but know from recent experience how slowly the call process can move. I'm trying to be open, but don't want to move from one temporary position to another. I'm in a good place, am getting my thesis going again (no, really, I am!), and don't want to drop all of this to only be in the same position of waiting in a year. A wise person suggested to me today though, that I may consider negotiating for a two-year term. Any wisdom, friends?

2 comments:

semfem said...

I miss Eugene terribly--please say hello to it for me. :)

And a year is nowhere near long enough for a first call. I know I felt SO GOOD once I passed the year mark, because then I had at least some semblance of a clue how things were done for each part of the year. Ask for two years. That's not long for a church, really!

k-bomb said...

My advice is to swing away...I have no idea what that means but you can interpret it any way you like!